Pet a gator

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Dressing down

I learned an interesting female dating tactic last week: dressing down. Apparently, the girls will dress ugly on purpose—a concept which completely baffles and freaks with my mind. I learned of this recently, while hanging out at a friend’s house the night her roommate reluctantly went on a date. The girls were discussing this concept while in her closet, though with the door open they were still in earshot.
For the record, when the roommate emerged, I really didn’t notice the intended lapse in tasteful attire. I suppose the subtlety of it is all part of the effectiveness?
After days of research and pondering, here is why I think girls might pull this stunt:

A) She is upset because the dude hasn’t clearly communicated whether he is interested or not…i.e. he’s slow with the DTR.
B) She doesn’t like the guy but still committed to the date.
C) She is saving her “hot” outfit for the post date run-in…i.e., as if to say, “Dude, you totally missed out.”
D) Girls are weird and a little crazy
E) I have no freaking clue

This blog leaves me with one disturbing question: has a girl ever dressed ugly for me? Yikes. What about the rest of you dudes?

9 Comments:

  • Things you have to know about girls:
    1. There is a strategy for everything.
    2. We think guys have a meaning behind things when they really don't.
    3. Our friends cooperation on the strategy is a MUST! We don't do things alone.
    4. Saying no to the date probably would have been the best plan but since we didn't want to make the guy feel bad we will go and hope he gets our "signals".
    -Karin's friend Lindz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 AM  

  • Lindz:
    I appreciate you de-mystifying the female code a bit :) Yah, you're right that guys don't really have a meaning behind their actions...they just kind of bumble around and we seldom, if ever, know what we want.

    By Blogger petagator, at 6:33 PM  

  • For the record, 100% of the 2 girls I surveyed agreed that dressing ugly is an acceptable dating tactic and that they have used it.

    I'm no Barna researcher, but guys, I'd say those are pretty dang good odds that a girl has, at one point, dressed ugly for YOU.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:53 PM  

  • B,C,and D

    From my extensive research (1+), the girl(s) agree(s) as well. I think it's perfectly normal.

    ~the ugly dresser

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:28 PM  

  • If a girl dressed ugly for me, one of two things would happen. 1. I wouldn't notice at all and complement her on how nice she looks. 2. I would notice and complement her on how nice she looks.

    By Blogger - john, at 8:47 PM  

  • I do have to point out that there is a difference in "dressing down" and "dressing ugly". Dressing down would be not going all out with the wardrobe, make-up, and hair. Dressing ugly would be finding the oldest/grungiest thing you own putting it on with no make-up and hair in a pony tail. BIG DIFFERENCE and really other girls are the only ones who are going to notice that a girl has "dressed down" for a guy. So guys always have a trusted girl/friend that you can go to with the wardrobe of your date and ask which one you got.
    -Lindz

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:33 AM  

  • Hmmm...Good point, Lindz. I'll consider editing my blog and changing the title to simply "dressing ugly."

    By Blogger petagator, at 4:38 PM  

  • Blog title consideration......DENIED.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:09 PM  

  • I definitely "dress down." It's not an insult for the guy. I think we are taking this all wrong. I feel like I need to hold something back, that this is not my very best. I rarely wear the clothes that make you go "Yeah, baby" and then am jealous of the ones who do. I think that women hold back a little and that on our wedding day (maybe?) we think we will pull out all the stops and finally look our best. Again, I don't think it is a reflection on the guy, but on how women operate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home